Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Eternity Hangs in the Balance, Embrace It

ETERNAL PERSPECTIVE (eter-nal per'spect-ive) v - to think in terms of forever as opposed to short term (merely mortality) 
                                      -taken from Sister Taualii's Imperfect Dictionary


Many have said eternity is hard  impossible to comprehend. They would be correct. In our human state it is impossible for us to understand fully the eternities. (At least in the case of my brain.)

In our faith, however, we believe that we can live with our families forever. or as The Sandlot cast might say, "FOOOOREEVVERR" How can we believe this without comprehending totally, fully, purely eternity? I cannot speak for every LDS member, but for me it comes down to a statement made by a modern day prophet, In The Family: A Proclamation to the World,"The divine plan of happiness enables family relationships to be perpetuated beyond the grave. Sacred ordinances and covenants available in holy temples make it possible for individuals to return to the presence of God and for families to be united eternally." WOAH! We are on earth for a divine purpose!!! You and I and ALL mankind can return to live with God! It's all part of His plan of happiness! That's awesome!

Sister Taualii, what's this plan you speak of?

Let's break it all down to the cliff notes version, shall we:



Once upon a time we lived in heaven with Heavenly Father. We were happy spirits living with our super awesome, perfect dad. He (like most parents) knew we could become even more happy. In fact, perfectly happy. So, He created a perfect plan for each of us to come to earth to learn and grow so we can be happy, like Him. This plan allows us to make our own decisions, to find things that make us happy, and become the best possible versions of ourselves all through applying the atonement of Jesus Christ. He even designed the plan to include families and other people to love so we can understand more His love for us! We are so blessed! 

Wake up, cuz this is where that eternal perspective comes into play. 

Obviously none of us are perfect. It may not be that obvious to some, but I KNOW I'm not perfect. I mess up. A lot. Trials, hardships, afflictions, and all that jazz come into our lives. 
What? 
Those things don't make me happy!
 Ah, but Sister Taualii, they do.  
Psh. That's a joke. 
No, its not. Those trials and hardships shape us. Sure, they don't seem fair. They don't seem like they make us happy, BUT in an eternal sense they are EXACTLY what we need to be happy.

How do I know that?

Because I know that God loves us. I trust that EVERY SINGLE THING I go through in this temporary earth life is for my good. And I know I don't know and won't know EVERYTHING, but with my Almighty, Eternal Father in Heaven rooting for me, by golly, I think I can handle not knowing everything just yet. 

Joseph Smith and the early saints were persecuted and tried beyond my comprehension. They relied wholeheartedly on Christ's atonement because they had no other choice. Joseph Smith in his own agony and in a prayer of desperation in behalf of the suffering saints asked Heavenly Father, "Where art Thou?"  Heavenly Father answered him, "My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment; And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes. Thy friends do stand by thee, and they shall hail thee again with warm hearts and friendly hands. Thou art not yet as Job..."

I find comfort in those words almost on a daily basis. I know that God lives and loves us. For that reason I can press forward through my trials with an eternal perspective KNOWING that these things shall be for my good and my happiness for this life and the eternities.

A good friend of mine and wonderful example of relying on the Savior shared how her experience with breast cancer helped her gain an eternal perspective: "Christ has given me an eternal perspective on life through which I can better understand my own trials and tribulations. I may not understand the reasons for my trials now, but I know that there is a reason and that I, my family, and perhaps others will be blessed for them.
I've never asked why I got cancer. It doesn't matter. What matters is what I do with this trial that was given to me. Will I let it pull me down? Or will I rise above it and be better for it?
God didn't CURSE me with cancer- He blessed me with it. And He helped me to overcome it."



You too can have this knowledge. You can have this peace. Turn to our Savior. Ask for His help. Find your own eternal perspective. I dare you.







2 comments: